I am an Australian illustrator, author, painter and printmaker. My children’s picture book A Patch from Scratch was published in March 2016 (Penguin Random House), and I run workshops for children around ideas about living sustainably in an urban setting. These include drawing, painting and planting seeds as well as reading from the book. A Patch from scratch was shortlisted for the Speech Pathology Awards 2016. In November 2016 All I want for Christmas is Rain was published (New Frontier), and this picture book follows the adventures of a little girl living on a drought stricken property out west, who is yearning for rain. I also run lino printing workshops for children and adults. In 1995 I completed a Bachelor of Visual Arts at Queensland College of Art, Griffith University, and I have a graduate diploma in Education specialising in Visual Art and English. I have worked in many mediums and have exhibited in galleries around Brisbane as well as completing commissioned work. For the three years from 2009–2011, I studied printmaking at Studio West End in Brisbane under Vim De Voss. These days I work out of my studio in Manly, Brisbane, in Queensland, Australia.
Current and Recent Projects
- Author/illustrator of A Patch from Scratch, a children’s picture book about a family living sustainably in an urban setting. Published by Penguin Random House Australia.
- Illustrator for All I Want for Christmas is Rain written by Cori Brooke, published by New Frontier.
- Exhibition of work titled ‘Moreton Island‘ at Skyring Architects.
- Providing Australian film Strangerland with artworks for interior film sets (August 2014)
- Creating artworks for retreats used by the World Community of Christian Meditation (August 2014)
- Logo design for an Australian business (July 2014)
- Working towards an exhibition titled ‘Domestic Goddess’ about the stimulation and tensions of life as a mother and working artist
- Painting and printmaking for private commissions
Watercolour, etching, lino printing, mono printing, oils, acrylic, sculpture, collage, ink, mixed media. The medium I chose is usually decided by its ability to reflect what I am trying to convey in that particular work or series.
- Shorlisted for the Speech Pathology Australia Book of the Year Awards 2016
- CYA Conference 2013 Second Prize for Illustrated Picture Book
- CYA Conference 2012 First Prize for Illustration – Picture Book
- QUT 2002 Children’s and Young Adult Literature First Prize for Illustrated Picture Book
- 2014 ‘Moreton Island’, Skyring Architects, 78 Macgregor Tce, Bardon, Brisbane
- 2012 ‘My Wynnum Manly’, The Collective Store, Wynnum
- 2010 Printmaker’s Exhibition, Studio West End, Brisbane
- 2002 ‘Ever Been to India’, Doggett St, Brisbane.
- 1996–2000 Commissioned works for hotels throughout Brisbane
- 1999 17m Wall Mural in Queensland Performing Arts Complex for Chevron Oil
- 1998 ‘Neck of the Woods’, Metro Arts, Brisbane
- 2017 – drawing, painting and planting workshops for Brisbane City Council Library.
- 2017 – art classes for children at The Mad Hatter’s Bookshop in Manly, Brisbane.
- 2017 – drawing, painting, lino printing workshops for Wynnum Manly Community Garden.
- 2016 – drawing, painting and planting workshops for the launch of A Patch from Scratch.
- 2016 – Lino Printing from nature for children at Wynnum Manly Community Garden.
- 2015 – Lino Printing and mixed media workshop at The Collective Store, Bay Tce Wynnum.
- 2014, Charcoal and watercolour workshop for ‘Kids in the Park, at Wynnum Manly Community Gardens Group, Bethania, St Lota.
- 2013 Lino Printing Workshop Bayside Arts and Music Festival, Wynnum, Brisbane
- 2003 Lino Printing Workshop, Wynnum Wipeout