I am an Australian illustrator, author, painter and printmaker. My children’s picture book A Patch from Scratch was published in March 2016 (Penguin Random House), and I run workshops for children around ideas about living sustainably in an urban setting. These include drawing, painting and planting seeds as well as reading from the book. In November 2016 All I want for Christmas is Rain was published (New Frontier), and this picture book follows the adventures of a little girl living on a drought stricken property out west, who is yearning for rain. I also run lino printing workshops for children and adults. In 1995 I completed a Bachelor of Visual Arts at Queensland College of Art, Griffith University, and I have a graduate diploma in Education specialising in Visual Art and English. I have worked in many mediums and have exhibited in galleries around Brisbane as well as completing commissioned work. For the three years from 2009–2011, I studied printmaking at Studio West End in Brisbane under Vim De Voss. These days I work out of my studio in Manly, Brisbane, in Queensland, Australia.
Current and Recent Projects
- CD cover design for Rhythms, Raps and Rocketships
- Author/illustrator of A Patch from Scratch, a children’s picture book about a family living sustainably in an urban setting. Published by Penguin Random House Australia.
- Illustrator for All I Want for Christmas is Rain written by Cori Brooke, published by New Frontier.
- Exhibition of work titled ‘Moreton Island‘ at Skyring Architects.
- Providing Australian film Strangerland with artworks for interior film sets (August 2014)
- Creating artworks for retreats used by the World Community of Christian Meditation (August 2014)
- Logo design for an Australian business (July 2014)
- Working towards an exhibition titled ‘Domestic Goddess’ about the stimulation and tensions of life as a mother and working artist
- Painting and printmaking for private commissions
Watercolour, etching, lino printing, mono printing, oils, acrylic, sculpture, collage, ink, mixed media. The medium I chose is usually decided by its ability to reflect what I am trying to convey in that particular work or series.
- All I Want for Christmas is Rain Cori Brooke and Megan Forward, Shortlisted for the Children’s Book Council Awards (CBCA) 2017 Book of the Year Early Childhood
- A Patch from Scratch Megan Forward. Shortlisted for the Children’s Book Council Awards (CBCA) Crichton Award 2017
- Shorlisted for the Speech Pathology Australia Book of the Year Awards 2016
- CYA Conference 2013 Second Prize for Illustrated Picture Book
- CYA Conference 2012 First Prize for Illustration – Picture Book
- QUT 2002 Children’s and Young Adult Literature First Prize for Illustrated Picture Book
- 2014 ‘Moreton Island’, Skyring Architects, 78 Macgregor Tce, Bardon, Brisbane
- 2012 ‘My Wynnum Manly’, The Collective Store, Wynnum
- 2010 Printmaker’s Exhibition, Studio West End, Brisbane
- 2002 ‘Ever Been to India’, Doggett St, Brisbane.
- 1996–2000 Commissioned works for hotels throughout Brisbane
- 1999 17m Wall Mural in Queensland Performing Arts Complex for Chevron Oil
- 1998 ‘Neck of the Woods’, Metro Arts, Brisbane
- 2017 – Author in Residence Oakleigh State School
- 2017- Story Arts Festival Ipswich – workshop presenter
- 2017 – Romancing the Stars – presenter
- 2017 – painting workshop collaborative mural for Brisbane City Council Library
- 2017 – drawing, painting and planting workshops for Brisbane City Council Library.
- 2017 – Children’s Art Classes at Manly State School.
- 2017 – art classes for children at The Mad Hatter’s Bookshop in Manly, Brisbane.
- 2017 – drawing, painting, lino printing workshops for Wynnum Manly Community Garden.
- 2016 – drawing, painting and planting workshops for the launch of A Patch from Scratch.
- 2016 – Lino Printing from nature for children at Wynnum Manly Community Garden.
- 2015 – Lino Printing and mixed media workshop at The Collective Store, Bay Tce Wynnum.
- 2014, Charcoal and watercolour workshop for ‘Kids in the Park, at Wynnum Manly Community Gardens Group, Bethania, St Lota.
- 2013 Lino Printing Workshop Bayside Arts and Music Festival, Wynnum, Brisbane
- 2003 Lino Printing Workshop, Wynnum Wipeout